Friday, September 11, 2009

In which Daisy watches wind in the flag

We flew the flag at half-staff today. I can't believe it's been eight years when it still feels like last week.

I drove down the New Jersey Turnpike six days ago, and I remembered the last time I saw the towers. It was August, 2001, and I was coming home from Rhode Island to go back to school. After crossing the George Washington Bridge with my mom, I kept my eyes glued to the skyline for at least ten minutes. I remember thinking how amazing, how majestic, how cool they looked against the sky. To a twelve year old, downtown Manhattan was the center of the whole world, and I felt so lucky to be a part of it. So I looked, and I thought "so cool".

The next summer, driving home, they weren't there anymore.

I'm so glad my twelve-year-old self thought to look out the window. I still do it every time.

Never forget to take it all in. The world belongs to you, mountain cliffs and city skylines, so don't miss seeing it. We are all so lucky to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment